My Weekend is All Booked

Hi everyone!

Hope you’re all enjoying the nice weather, I’m glad that it has decided to stick around. It’s exam season, so if you have any upcoming exams best of luck to you!

This week I’m going to talk about reading lists, and give you some tips that might save you a bit of money.

Reading lists are super important at uni, no matter what your course. That doesn’t mean that you should worry about them though.

If you like to be super prepared then you can do some reading over the summer, but this won’t be expected of you in first year – especially if you don’t receive your reading list until you enrol.

When I got my first reading list I was a bit daunted, there seemed to be so many books and I had no idea how I was going to read them all or how I was going to afford them!

Tip number one: Only buy core reading books for each module. Most course modules will have core reading books, which are the main books you will need for each subject. There may be a list of recommended secondary reading. Usually these books are for specialised topics, so you won’t need to buy them in advance.

Tip number two: Hunt around for the best deals on your books. Although Amazon
sometimes has good deals on books, other sites often have the same books for cheaper prices. A lot of universities have a start-of-year book sale, when students will sell on their used books to first years. This is a good thing to look out for, as it will usually be the cheapest and easiest way to get all your books.

Tip number three: Never underestimate the library! If you’re having trouble finding a particular book, or need a specific book for an assignment then the library is the place to go. It’s almost certain they’ll have the book that you need, and if not then there are hundreds of online journal articles that might be of use.

Last top tip: never ignore a reading list! It’s there to help you with your assignments and exams, so make sure you’re aware of it. It will make life so much easier, and it doesn’t have to be as expensive as you first think.

Quote for the day: “So many books, so little time.” -Frank Zappa

Hope you all have a good day, until next time!

-Becki 🙂