These Are Not the Grades You Are Looking For

Hi everyone!

(Yes the title of this blog is a Star Wars reference.)

Today I wanted to talk a little about the tutors at university, and the kind of support and advice you can expect.

When you come to Edge Hill you are assigned a Personal Tutor. This is usually a member of staff in the department running your degree (they are your real life Obi Wan Kenobi.) If you have any problems with your degree, or have any worries they are a great place to go.

I spend a lot of time meeting my personal tutor when I have a coursework deadline looming. This is really helpful, as it calms me down and my personal tutor gives me advice and guidance on essays, how to cope with stress levels and occasionally we will just have a small chat about life.

Since there are so many members of staff it can be daunting knowing who to talk to, but as a personal tutor could be with you throughout the duration of your studies, you always have a friendly face and an open ear.

Your seminar tutors will also become very familiar during the years of your degree. I guarantee you will be sending them a lot of emails, whether that is about an upcoming essay, how to reference properly or to let them know you’re ill and can’t make it to a class.

As the end of the semester is fast approaching that means there are more deadlines. Thankfully, seminar tutors are super supportive. The last week of semester you can arrange a meeting with specific tutors for advice and guidance on essays.

Lectures and seminars can give you a great overview and introduction to a topic, but most essays will require a lot of independent research. Since there is so much independence though, it is always nice to check that you’re heading in the right direction.

A seminar tutor can prevent that last minute essay meltdown, and give you that little extra push so you have confidence in your essay. It’s always nice to know you’re not alone, and have someone to help you.

The thing I love most about Edge Hill is the fact that there is so much support on offer. The tutors are always ready to help, no matter what the issue is. Never be afraid to ask for help!

Quote for the day: “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” -William Arthur Ward

Hope you all have a great week.

Until next time 🙂