Food for Thought and Thought For Food

Hi everyone!

Hope you are all doing extremely well this week!

My lectures start again this week, and I’m feeling ready for them all after the little rest I’ve had over Easter. Like me, most of you have probably started back at school/college again now.

I hope you all enjoy it! Although it can be a stressful time try not to let it overwhelm you, play as hard as you work every now and again.

Since being at home I had all my meals cooked for me, but now I am back at uni it’s back to cooking for myself.

This week I am going to give you a little bit of advice when it comes to making your own meals, doing your weekly shop and budgeting wisely.

Even if you’re not moving away from home to go to uni, these tips will probably benefit you at some point in the future. And you can always surprise your parents or friends by cooking them a little meal.

My number one tip is find recipes that are quick and easy. This doesn’t necessarily mean investing in a recipe book (although you might end up with one as a leaving present.) I use google, and have a special Recipes bookmark tab. This makes it a lot easier, especially after a long day of lectures.

It can be tempting to just order in instead of cooking for yourself, but that’s not exactly sustainable on a student budget.

Another tip is to plan your meals ahead of time. This will make your weekly shopping easier, as you already know what you have to buy.

There’s also less chance of ordering one too many domino’s, as you will already have all the ingredients to make actual food.

Cooking for one person can be a bit of a chore, but if you make extra then you always have leftovers for later in the week!

The other major tip I will give you is make sure you have the right equipment! Pots, pans, knives, a casserole dish. It will be difficult to make anything without the right tools, so make sure your kitchen is well equipped.

You can always make a deal with your friends or flatmates to all cook and eat together. That means you’ll have more fun making the food, and maybe even a hand with the washing up (if you’re lucky!)

Quote for the day: “No one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.” My Life in France -Julia Child

Hope you all have an amazing week ahead of you. Maybe go try to make a meal other than beans on toast to prepare for university life!

-Becki 🙂