Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!

Hey everyone!

Hope you are all doing extremely well. It’s been a very busy week for me so far, so I apologise for the lateness of this post.

One of the great things about uni is the chance to create your own degree, you get a lot more flexibility and choice than you at school or college.

As it’s March that means it’s time to decide on module choices for next year!

It can sound very scary at first, especially if you’re not great at decision making (I am guilty of this too, don’t worry.)

Since you’re paying for your education, and the end goal is to get a degree and (most likely) a job at the end of your studies, tailoring your degree to reach that end goal is super important.

The amount of choice can vary depending on your degree type, typically single honours students will get more choice than major-minor or joint honour students.

But there is usually a great deal of flexibility no matter what your programme.

In first year there may not be as much choice. There are compulsory modules for each year of your degree. This year, I didn’t get to choose the modules I studied, but this gives you the opportunity to study some things you might not even have thought about before.

Tutors are around for each stage of the choosing process, so no matter what there is someone to talk to.

We had an initial briefing session, which gave us all the information we needed to know about timetabling and how to choose modules.

Every subject then posts a module description online, so you can find out what type of things you will be studying, the assessments that comprise the module and the module leader’s email. If you have any specific questions about the module they are the one to ask!

I am really looking forward to the second year of my degree now. I was slightly scared, but now I have more knowledge about the modules I will be studying, and I can’t wait to start studying them.

It is a nerve-racking experience, but it’s an opportunity too great to be missed. As long as you take advantage of all the great experiences uni has to offer you, and ask for help if you need it then you are on your way to making your time at university the best it can possibly be.

Quote for the day: “Trust your instincts, and make judgements on what your heart tells you. The heart will not betray you.” Fall of Kings – David Gemmell

Hope you all have a good week, make good choices!

Until next time! 🙂