Lets Do the Maths!

Before I came to uni I struggled to find any real-life accounts or opinions of my course at Edge Hill, I wanted to know what happened at uni as well as what my course entailed. As my course is quite specific I struggled to find anything on the internet so just in case I’m not the last person to eve search for this… I thought I’d tell you a bit about my course.

So becoming a maths teacher isn’t as easy as what everyone assumes, there are no modules solely based on GCSE maths- if only it was that easy! Each year you take on 7 modules, 1 placement module, 3-4 maths based modules and 2-3 education based modules (more info here as to the modules variation and description).

The timetable in year 1 was spread over 3/4 days, and this year we are in lectures 3 days a week. This doesn’t sound a lot but with the amount of work that you have it’s definitely needed! The lecturers are lovely and very approachable, so there’s no need to worry if you don’t understand anything because they are more than happy to help.

In my opinion the first year of uni, is brilliant! The first year of uni is a gateway to your degree, it starts by building on the foundations of the knowledge you’ll need for year 2 and 3! As second year is also great as you’ve settled into uni, you have your friends and you can really get stuck into the work!

This year we are designing a research question that we will research in this years placement which we will build upon for a module next year (this project is my courses dissertation equivalent module). I am really excited to carry out the research and produce some results to interpret.

I hope this helps and gives you a bit more of an idea of what occurs on the course, if you do have any questions please comment!

Thank you!