Making that decision

When I first started blogging I made a promise to myself that I would always be honest in my blogs. Therefore I think it is important that I talk about the other options besides University. University was always something that I wanted to do and a lot of people, like me, have been aiming to go from a very young age. However, there are also people who the idea of University is simply out of the question.

A lot of people will be talking to you about the different ‘paths’ ‘routes’ or ‘journeys’ that are becoming available to you. They are not wrong when they tell you that you have many different choices! Within society at the moment there are so many different ways that you can achieve the same thing. From getting a degree, doing an access course or completing an apprenticeship. The end result can sometimes be very similar!

My friend Elliot has currently been travelling around Australia and New Zealand for the past six weeks. This is something that has always appealed to me. However, he was only able to do this as a result of taking a gap year! He has his place at University confirmed for September but has used the year to travel and earn some money! We can’t say he was wrong to do this but the experiences he has had will remain with him for the rest of his life.

I have quite a few friends doing apprenticeships. Not a single one of them has told me that they don’t enjoy it. However, I have noticed that they have entered the ‘real world’, shall we say, earlier than those of us who decided to go to University. My friend Lydia for example has just bought herself a new car. This is something that I can’t even contemplate for myself right now! I have always said that the idea of having a full time job scares me and to be honest I want to make the most of the time where I am not having to work 9 – 5, 5 days a week. I can do that for the next 60 years I don’t need to start too soon!! However, sometimes this suits that type of person.

I’m not trying to put you off going to University or try and tell you that you have to go. I just feel that its important you are aware of the options that you have around you. Travelling sounds fun but realistically you can’t do it forever. Having a full time salary sounds amazing right now but I’d rather just say being young and not have the responsibilities life holds just yet. Arguably I am bias about this but just consider every option that you have before making life changing decisions!