Staying Motivated at University

With Liverpool down the road, and an endless supplies of bars and clubs seconds away from campus, it can be pretty hard to stay on the ball and focus at university! Believe me, the distractions are endless! The biggest difference between studying at college and university is self motivation. When you come to university you suddenly find yourself away from home, away from parents telling you what to do, and without teachers breathing down your neck about homework deadlines. But in order to succeed and get the grades you want, you’ve got to find the right balance of work hard, play hard – and this is pretty much the key to keeping a good work ethic and a social life. It’s probably taken me until now, the end of second year, to finally figure out the balance but here are a few tips I’ve learnt along the way!

1. Get organised – I had never owned a diary until this year, but planning out my week helps me so much to keep up with everything. I love a good list – yes very sad I know, but I find if I plan my week ahead I achieve so much more!
2.Surround yourself with motivated people – I am so lucky to have a group of girl friends that are all in the same work hard, play hard mind-set as me! Surrounding myself with creative and motivated people keeps me on track and makes me want to work hard!
3.Don’t stress – Stressing never helps! If you stress about not coming up with that creative idea, or finishing that assignment, it won’t happen, or it won’t be good anyway! So take time for a time out, relax go out for a few drinks and re- group!
4.Read something that inspires you! – I’ve recently read #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso, and it is by far the most motivating book I’ve ever read, it’s sparked my creativity and fuelled my inner girl boss, to do really well in my degree to hopefully get the job of my dreams some day!
5.Remember why you’re here – For me, I came to university to learn how to be a creative, so that one day I can have the creative job of my dreams. It’s not bad to dream big, and it’s good to keep your goals in sight all the time. Sometimes I come home and think ergh I just want to quit and give up on this degree and then I remember why I’m in it and what I want my future to look like and it puts everything into perspective!

I found this article super helpful, with lots of tips on how to stay motivated! http://www.inc.com/marla-tabaka/7-ways-to-stay-motivated-and-accomplish-anything.html