Having Doubts…

Something that sticks in my mind about the university application process is all the doubts that were constantly running through my mind. I was worrying about everything; ranging from whether or not I was ready to move out to whether I would make any friends. A lot of those doubts played on my mind right up until I moved into halls and started uni, which I think is absolutely fine because going to uni is a massive step and can be kind of daunting. However, on the day I started at Edge Hill there were two things that I definitely didn’t have doubts about: whether or not I’d chosen the right university and whether or not I’d like my course. I was absolutely positive I would love Edge Hill and its English Literature programme, and I would say that is mostly down to the fact that I attended both an open day and an applicant visit day.

Visiting universities is a really important part of the application process because it helps you to get a feel for the place that you’re going to be spending the next three or so years of your life. There are some universities that I visited that I thought looked perfect down on paper but when I went to visit they just didn’t feel right. When I first visited Edge Hill for an open day I immediately took a liking to it, ┬ábut I had a few doubts because there was another university I liked too and Edge Hill was just so far away from home. So when I received an invitation to attend an applicant visit day I leapt at the chance to go back and make a final decision. Applicant visit days allow you to visit the campus, and also have a taster session of your course. This is definitely extremely useful if you’re not 100% sure about your choice of subject. For me, this only made me more excited to get started on my degree. And by the end of the day, I couldn’t have been more positive that Edge Hill was the place I belonged.

I’ve written two other blogs about my experiences at my applicant visit day: one that describes my day in general, and another that focuses specifically on the English Literature taster session.

If you have any doubts at all about your chosen university or course I cannot recommend attending an applicant visit day enough. It really helped me to make a final decision and I definitely don’t have any regrets.

Good luck!