Other Courses and why Psychology was the right one for me.

With the UCAS deadline rapidly approaching (January 15th is the deadline for applications for the majority of courses) I thought I’d reflect on the other courses I considered when applying to university.

History

My 1st choice of degree course for a long time (right the way through high school) was history. I’ve always been a history buff and got an A in it at GCSE and C at A-level. So I looked at the history courses at a number of universities including UCLAN (University of Central Lancashire), York, Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan and Bradford. But then I failed my AS history first time around and whilst my teacher let me re-sit, he did tell me I needed another choice (a plan b) of degree course when applying to university.

Archaeology 

This coincided with my love of History and I grew up watching the program Time Team (a group of archaeologists who go around the country digging up various sites of archaeological interest) so I looked at archaeology at UCLAN, York and both Manchester universities. However I decided it was not for me when I read the first few pages of an A-level textbook my dad bought me to help me decided whether it was really for me. Needless to say I wouldn’t have enjoyed being on my hands and knees digging up fields in all weathers.

Why Psychology?

This then brings me onto the course I of course ended up studying at degree level. Psychology. Psychology was the right course for me. I’ve widened my knowledge of psychology in terms of theory and research methodologies since starting at Edge Hill 2 1/2 years ago (almost) and more importantly my career choices are so much wider than if I’d done History or Archaeology because I’ve picked up skills like research skills, data analysis as well as enhanced my oral and written communication, time management, team work and organisation skills. All of which are prized by employers and if all goes according to plan I should be working full time this time next year 🙂

Anyway this is my last blog as a twenty year old (I turn twenty one on wednesday!) but in the meantime make sure the course your applying for is the right one for you. You don’t want to end up picking a course only to regret it later on.