Should you have experience before starting your course?

In my first year of 6th form I had no clue what the hell I was going to do with my life after I finished. In fact, even by the start of the second year I still didn’t really know. I loved all my A-Levels – English, Art and Design and Performing Arts, but wasn’t sure I could see a career path at the end that was right for me, and wasn’t sure I wanted to specialise in any of those areas at University. It wasn’t until I was flicking through prospectuses that I finally saw something that caught my eye and combined a good level of art direction, creative writing and business – Advertising.

The fundamental idea of it really excited me, all the modules sounded right up my street, they were exciting and creative but all with a purpose, which really caught my attention. But to be honest it was a subject I knew very little about. I’d never studied media or marketing business modules, so although it sounded like a subject I could do, I didn’t really have much of a clue, which is why I went looking for some experience.
I started by asking friends and family if they knew anyone I could shadow, and slowly started to contact more people until I was finally offered a weeks experience in Berlin!

The week I spent there was so valuable, I learnt so much in such a short space of time, and really made me excited to start a course and career in advertising. It was such an eye opener, although it wasn’t something I needed to get onto the course, it really made me understand the industry, and by the time I started the course I could really relate everything I was learning back into the industry.

Being pro active and really getting excited about what you will be learning about at university is so beneficial. Even if you just spend one day over summer shadowing someone, I would really recommend it!

This is a little video from Saatchi and Saatchi Berlin, where I was lucky enough to get work experience!