Last night I went to see the third (and final) film in the Hobbit trilogy. The film follows on from the Desolation of Smaug, whereby the dragon Smaug (voiced and played by Benedict Cumberbatch) has escaped Erebor (the lonely mountain, which was once home to the high born dwarf Thorin Oakenshield as played by Richard Armitage) and is now heading to wreak his fiery wrath on the town of Laketown and the races of middle earth (Men, Dwarves, Elves, Wizards and a certain hobbit) are gathering together to stop him and the forces of darkness (lead by the Necromancer aka. Sauron, again played by Benedict Cumberbatch) from destroying the world they call home.This was a bittersweet¬†¬†film because this (as far as any one knows) is the last time we will see J.R.R Tolkien’s writings adapted on the big screen as directed by oscar winning director Peter Jackson (unless the rights are ever granted by Tolkien’s living descendants to adapt the book the Silmarillion) To this day I can still remember seeing the 2nd Lord of The Rings film (The Two Towers, way back in 2002) with my grandparents, the 3rd (The Return of the King a year later) with my dad and his friend and then of course the first two hobbit films (An Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug) with the fantasy & sci-fi society in my first and second years of University. If anyone reading is thinking of seeing this film and hasn’t yet seen the trailer this is below, as is the song on the credits “Last Goodbye” as sung by Billy Boyd who of course played the hobbit Pippin in the Lord of the Rings films.