Flying the nest

Moving out. This is something that I had kind of pushed to the back of my mind. I had just forgotten that I would be living by myself in a new city without old family and friends.

Something that I found sA very full car! urreal was not seeing my family as much as I have done back home. I am a very family orientated person and so moving away from home was very nerve racking and something that I was worried about.

For weeks leading up to the moving in day I put off packing and anything to do with Uni because it worried me so much. My mum would try to show me what she had got me ready but I would just be dis-interested and not pay attention. This was hard for her but she forced me to do it and however nervous it made me feel I’m so relieved that she did because now I have everything I wanted/needed and wasn’t stressed about forgetting anything.

It was strange moving all my stuff into just one room. The hardest thing waMy Room s realising that I now had to look after myself. My mum left and it just felt strange living with a whole new bunch of people. However, luckily my flat mates were all social and so on the first night we decided to go for dinner at SU together which took our minds off home and leaving our family. I am living with 8 girls which I was disappointed about at first but now I love it!

Even though I still have my family back home who are so supportive, its like we are kind of dysfunctional family here. We have the motherly figures, the children, the aunts, the grandmas and we all support each other no matter what.

I’m loving the independence of living on my own. I can do what I want when I want. We have such  laugh living in halls – there is never a dull moment – and even though I miss chatting to my family all the time and letting them know what I’m doing, I’m so pleased I flew the nest and started the next chapter at Edge Hill.