Cooking

If you’ve never lived by yourself before university, the whole idea of having to cook yourself food every day might be something you’re really not used to. At least, that’s how it was for me. I knew how to make some things, and I could certainly turn an oven on and bung items inside on a baking tray, so I figured I’d be ok. And I was. I know some of my friends had cooking lessons from their parents before they were sent off to university, and if you’ve seriously never prepared any food ever that might be a good idea. But cooking is a learning process, although for me,  I’m still learning my cooking lessons now in my third year.

In first year I pretty much entirely lived off ready meals. They were cheap, they were easy and, best of all, they were quick. By the time I got to second year, I was a bit bored. I must of tried every ready meal that Ormskirk’s supermarkets had to offer. And so, I started to experiment a bit. I bought actual chicken. I bought a jar of curry sauce. I put them together and made a curry. As far as I was concerned, I was cooking. Now that I’m in third year, I still buy the occasional ready meal (because really, who has time to cook every night?), but I’ve started creating my own recipes. Better yet, I’ve become a bit more health conscious; fresh fruit and vegetables  have somehow found their way into my meals. And although the preparation time for my meals has definitely increased from the standard seven minutes in the microwave of my Morrisons Savers Macaroni Cheese days, I feel a lot better for it.

I guess the point of all this is: it doesn’t matter if you don’t arrive at uni with the skills of the five star chef because, as you’ll find with most things, university  is definitely a time where you’ll be learning a lot. You might start by eating ready meals every night, but before you know it you might end up as the next Gordon Ramsey.