The Hub

2663255_8ba965e3Located in the centre of campus is the very modern-looking Hub. It’s always busy as it is the main place students use for socialising during the day because.  There’s lots of seats, sofas and tables and there are also a few eating places, including a sandwich bar and a place that serves hot food. If you live in catered halls you can buy your meals from here.

There is also a Starbucks for all your coffee needs, and McColls which is useful for picking up any last minute groceries, although it’s not as cheap as the things you find in supermarkets. As well as this, most days during the week there are also little stalls selling things, ranging from clothes to sweets (‘Cake Man’ from Cottage Cakes has become a campus legend!).  Next to McColls you can find a couple of ATMs, should you need to withdraw any money.

UniversityOfEgdeHillMain

Upstairs in the Hub is home to the SU, where you can find the President and Vice Presidents should you ever need to get in touch with them about anything. There’s also lots of computers upstairs which are always available to use, and printing from them is free.  Additionally there are a few booths which can be used for group work or even for watching a movie. There’s one giant screen which is used to broadcast big television events, such as the Superbowl, or you can just play Xbox on it!

I went to the Hub a lot during my first year as it was somewhere to relax at weekends with friends. Recently I’ve been using it as somewhere to meet friends before lectures and often grab a bite to eat there when I’m on campus. The thing I love about going in there is that, because it’s such a popular spot, I always bump in to someone I know and it’s such a nice place to stop and chat.