Packing

I’d say that I’m a relatively laid back person and that there’s not much that stresses me out, but the last week has been a bit of a strain and it’s all because of one dreaded task… packing.

I’m now set to move into the new house in four days and I’m nowhere near ready. I’m somehow managing to wear clothes faster than I can wash them and the logical bit of my brain appears to have taken a break. The other day I bought 60 clothes hangers online before visiting my new house and finally realising just how limited my hanging space was. The phrase ‘it seemed like a good idea at the time’ has been thrown around way too often over the past week.

I don’t know what it is about packing that sends my brain into a frenzy. Perhaps it’s my subconscious trying to tell me that it doesn’t like change. Either way packing isn’t something that I enjoy and seems to take up an irritating amount of time.

Choosing which clothes to bring with is the hardest. Splitting things into ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ piles isn’t enough. By the end of the day I was splitting things between ‘Yes’, ‘No’, ‘Maybe’, ‘Only if it fits in the case’, ‘Might come back for it’, and ‘Depends how many shoes everyone else is bringing’ piles. As I unfortunately don’t have infinite space in my room everything ended up merging into one pile and the horrible process had to begin again.

Attempting to rationalise is the worst. E.g. ‘Okay, so I know that I have never ever worn that old Victorian bonnet in my 21 years of existence, but who is to say that once I’ve moved something incredibly important won’t come up that requires me to wear an old Victorian bonnet and I’ll be filled with regret and self-loathing.’ Hypothetical scenarios like this usually end in me packing the hypothetical Victorian bonnet. I’d like to take this time to point out that I will only be living a 45 minute drive from home and can come back for stuff whenever necessary.

I realise that this blog hasn’t been particularly helpful or informative, but I hope that it’s soothing to other people who get this stressed when packing that you’re not alone! Now I’m off to cram a large box of Pokemon cards that I haven’t touched in years into my bag… just in case.