Cooking as a Student

Students have this bad reputation of being terrible cooks and living off tins of beans. Whilst I love beans and ready meals as much as the next person, I’d also consider myself as a student who loves to cook. The stereotype of students living off beans comes from two places: Firstly, beans are quick/easy and students are busy/lazy and secondly because beans are cheap and students have to learn to live economically. I always try to find time to cook and also consider myself a bit of a bargain hunter. I also often cook with other people to keep costs down. Below are my meals over the past few days:

Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese 

Foodblog- 1

Pretty quick to cook once you’ve got the hang of it. I also always cook a few portions, so that I don’t have to cook for the next few days!

Veggie Korma and Homemade Naan Bread

foodblog- 3

My first attempt at making naan! This took quite a while, but was really nice and there was leftovers for the next night.

Pizza

foodblog- 5

I really enjoy making pizza and it’s a quick (although not particularly healthy) option.

Kale Chips

foodblog- 4

Kale chips are my new favourite healthy snack! I simply cut up kale, put it on a tray, brush it with oil and then season with salt, paprika and chili. Then I stick it in the oven for seven minutes and it’s perfect and crispy!

Oreo Cheesecake 

Foodblog- 2

After deciding that the amount that I spend on cheesecake was just too high I thought that I better take matters into my own hands. Cue lots of oreo-eating. I did eventually make this though, and it couldn’t have turned out better.

So, who said that students don’t cook?