Support From Tutors

In Emma’s blog last week (which you can read HERE) she wrote about all the different places from which you can get support whilst studying at Edge Hill. In this blog I’m going to focus on the people who have given me the most support; the tutors.

Personal Tutors

In the first week every student is assigned a personal tutor. It is then the responsibility of the student to ensure that they meet with their tutor at key points during the year. The tutors are also available to talk to whenever needed, and a personal meeting can be set up through email. Traditionally a person’s tutor is somebody who teaches within the course that the person is studying. Whilst my personal tutor doesn’t teach any of my modules she is a Creative Writing tutor and a playwright. I went to see one of her plays in February (which I blogged about HERE) and it made me feel really reassured that I’d be able to seek advice in my studies from a writer as talented as her.

Joint Honours Students

Although people’s personal tutors are from the area that they’re studying, because I’m joint honours I don’t have a personal tutor directly associated with the Film Studies side of my course. Because of this, in my first week one of the module leaders in Film Studies assigned an unofficial personal tutor to all the joint honours students. Personal tutors are there to talk about all issues, but when the issue is specific to a subject I’ve found it really helpful to have a point of contact specialising in that subject, and I see being assigned an unnofficial personal tutor just another way in which the staff at Edge Hill ensure that we’re getting all the support that we need.

Seminar Tutors

When it comes to needing help with assignments I’ve found that the seminar tutors are the bets people to go to. There have been a couple of instances when I’ve needed help, advice, or sometimes just a confidence boost regarding an essay and I’ve found that arranging a meeting with the tutor who teaches me on that specific module is the best thing to do. The tutors have always steered me in the right direction and helped me focus on areas that need improvement, without simply telling me what to change (which would be helpful in the short-term, but I wouldn’t learn anything from!) I know that I owe my good grades not only to what the tutors have taught me, but also to the support they have given me.