Counting Down the Days Until Glastonbury Festival

Now that the sun is finally starting to show its face it’s getting me in the mood for Glastonbury festival, even though it’s not until the end of June. I’ve always found it funny how a smell or temperature can provoke certain memories and feelings. The smell of winter always makes me feel really Christmas-y and now, the sunshine and the smell of cut grass is making me feel like June needs to hurry up!

To satisfy my craving for festival season I’ve been basking in the sun listening to Pixies. I’ll be seeing them at Glastonbury this year and I’m very excited as I’ve never seen them live before. I’m pretty disappointed by the Glastonbury line up, but the bands that I do want to see I’m really excited about.

In 2010 I managed to make it (very briefly) on TV behind Zane Lowe when he introduced Muse.

One of the best things about Glastonbury is that it really feels like a magical place where anything can happen. When I was there, one evening we got lost looking for somewhere and found ourselves in a meditating tent. It was closed for the night but we all ended up lying on old rugs underneath multi-coloured silk drapes staring out of the gap at the stars.

It was the hottest Glastonbury on record so sunhats became essential. So did rave paint, evidently.

There are lots of unannounced and secret performances as well. We went to an area specifically for charging phones just in time to see Newton Faulkner arrive and do a surprise set on a tiny stage. There were only about 100 people watching and it felt really intimate.

Newton Faulkner
Newton Faulkner

I really do find myself planning my year around music festivals. I can’t go to all the festivals that I want to- money’s tight, especially as I am a student- but even one’s enough to have an amazing time.