Whilst my first year at Edge Hill is now drawing to a close I still have to go in for one more thing. Most courses at some point have a module that includes doing a presentation in front of people, and next week is my first. We will only be presenting to around four people, but to say that I’m a little nervous would be an understatement.
The presentation acts as an assessment in one of my film modules and I’ve chosen to do it on Lacanian Theory in the 1999 drug culture film Human Traffic. One of the things that I didn’t count on was the time in which it would take to find stills from the film that appropriately back up my point, and I’ve found myself having to watch the DVD on my laptop so that I can pause at certain points in order to take screenshots. I think that it’s safe to say that after this presentation I won’t want to watch Human Traffic for a very long time!
As daunting as the thought of a presentation can be the tutors have been very helpful. My seminar tutor prepared his own presentation in order to show us what was expected of us. It gave me a good idea of how much information should be on my slides compared to how much I should say. This helped me to decide that my slides would consist mainly of pictures and key words to prompt me. I am also preparing a handout that outlines my main arguments.
Although I’m still nervous for next week I know that everybody will be in the same position. It’s important for me to remember to stay confident and that the presentation will all be over in a few minutes. As panicked as I know I’ll feel beforehand I know that it will all go fine. Now just to get it finished!