My People

Before moving away to go to university I was worried a lot about what would happen to the friendships and relationships I had. I was moving somewhere where I didn’t know a single person, and I was scared that I wouldn’t make friends who compared to those I had at home, or I’d lose touch with my old friends completely. As usual though, I didn’t need to worry.

I won’t lie and say that I am still as close with all my friends at home as I used to be. I’ve lost touch with a few along the way, but I’ve definitely realised (as corny as it sounds) who my true friends are. Friends who made the effort to keep in contact are definitely the ones I’m still close to. I found them a great support during the first few weeks at uni when I was still adjusting to everything, and I like to think that I did the same for them. That said, I also have a few friends who I sometimes don’t speak to for a few weeks, or maybe even longer, but when we do catch up it’s like nothing’s changed. I guess every situation is different.

When I left for university, I also had a boyfriend. He was living in Kent, so we were about 250 miles apart. Long distance relationships are not easy and it took a lot of work. Unfortunately, I watched a lot of couples in similar positions break up around me. But we always made sure to put aside time for each other, had lots of Skype sessions and visited whenever we could. I don’t think it’s right for everyone, but we managed to get through it. We’re still together and now he goes to university in Liverpool so it’s a lot easier.

University is a time of change, and for me that meant distancing myself a bit from old friendships but also creating new ones. The friends I’ve made at university have become almost like family to me and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Some of my friends from home
Some of my friends from home
And some of my lovely uni friends
And some of my lovely uni friends