Types of Psychology

Before I came to Edge Hill  I had already studied Psychology at A-level, so I had some prior knowledge of the classic theories, studies, famous psychologists and types of psychology. However, some people begin a university course having never studied it before. So here is a brief guide into some of the different types of psychology that exist.

Cognitive Psychology 

Cognitive Psychology is essentially the study of mental processes like: memory, language, visual processing/perception, attention, behaviorism (how we learn behaviours), face recognition, problem solving, emotion and consciousness to name but a few. Whilst cognitive psychology frequently overlaps with Biological Psychology, it focuses more on the processes themselves, rather than the biology behind them.

Biological Psychology 

Biological Psychology is very much focused on the brain and the body. Topics covered in biological psychology frequently include things such as: how neurons/brain cells work, vision, audition, hormones, substance use, psychological disorders/mental illnesses and brain damage.

Social Psychology 

Social Psychology is the study of how we interact with others and they have an influence on our behaviour. Some topics I have covered in my social psychology module this year include: stereotypes, schemas and heuristics, social influence, attractiveness, inter-group relations and attribution.

Developmental Psychology 

As this suggests this looks at the psychology of how we develop throughout out lives. Topics  I have covered in my degree so far within developmental psychology include: social development, cognitive development, emotional development, debates and approaches, play, motor development and development of personality.

Research Psychology

As you may or may not already know, Psychology is a science. Whilst it hasn’t been around as long as sciences such as biology, chemistry and physics, psychologists come up with a theory/theories about something and then set out to prove or disprove it/them through research. Research in psychology takes on many forms such as lab experiments, observations, questionnaires and interviews. However these tend to fall into one of two categories

1. Quantitative-This is numerical data
  2. Qualitative data-Data that is made up of words rather than number

I hope you have found this blog entry useful and if you would like anything answering then feel free to leave me a comment 🙂