Choosing a University

Last weekend I took a trip to visit my friend Hannah who studies at the University of Lincoln. Lincoln was actually one of the universities that I was considering attending myself at one point, and being back there really reminded me of how difficult choosing a university can be.

If you’re struggling to make a decision about where to study, I would highly recommend attending an open day if you haven’t already. Open days are excellent opportunities to look round campuses and to get some more information about your chosen course. To book a place on an open day at Edge Hill, please click here.

If you can’t make it to an open day, a lot of universities conduct regular campus tours, which are a great alternative. Edge Hill runs monthly tours which you can learn more about here. The tour even includes a presentation on finance and accommodation, as well as a chance to chat to current students.

Applicant visit days are definitely really useful too. They allow you to experience what studying your chosen course would be like. I’ve written two blogs about the applicant visit day that I attended which you can read here and here.

If you’ve done the above but are still not sure, I found that reading reviews from students who attended the universities I was interested in really helpful. WhatUni is a website that I used a lot. It has reviews from students that focus on a range of different areas to do with life at the university, as well as lots of other useful information.

Another website that was recommended to me was Push . Push is an independent guide to UK universities. It provides a lot of helpful and interesting information (even the average price of a pint…) but I think it’s important to remember that the opinions expressed won’t be representative of everyone. It can also be a little bit outdated because universities are constantly changing and expanding.

I hope that some of you find the links above helpful in making a decision. If you have any questions please leave them in the comments and I’ll do my best to answer them.