Reading Week

Last week was reading week (or independent study week if you want to be official about it). There were no classes on during this week, I guess it’s kind of the university equivalent of a half term, although, to my knowledge, not all courses offer it. If you choose to study English Literature like I do, you’ll definitely get a reading week. This is because the course is (surprise surprise) extremely heavy on the reading side. As well as powering through books, reading week  also offers the chance to get through any essays that have deadlines looming.

I used my reading week as an opportunity to go home to Kent (accompanied by all my books, of course). It was great to see my family again because I haven’t seen them since the start of January.  As excited as I was to be home, I very quickly started missing Ormskirk. There’s nothing quite like living with friends and the freedom that moving out gives you. On the other hand, I was more than happy to go back to home-cooked meals and a fully stocked fridge.

This week has got me thinking about when I first moved out. As difficult as it can be initially settling in to life away from home, I have certainly become accustomed to university life. ‘Normal’ life seems really odd now. When I think back to all the fears I had about going to university, even the little ones like sharing a bathroom, I realise now that I was worrying for nothing. I’m not saying that it’s not scary at all, and everyone is different, but for me, adjusting to university living was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

If anyone has any questions about anything to do with university (even tiny, silly ones) please feel free to ask me in the comments below.