My Applicant Visit Day – English Literature Taster Session

(This blog is going to focus on my experience of an English Literature taster session that is a big part of an applicant visit day. See my last blog for more details about my applicant visit day in general).

When I attended an applicant visit day at Edge Hill, the English Literature taster session directly followed a general talk about the English and History department. We were directed to follow a particular member of staff, depending on which course we were taking, out of the lecture hall and into our taster sessions. I was nervous, and I remember not wanting to leave my parents, feeling very much like a child again. But I did, because I knew that if I was going to move out in September I certainly needed to be able to leave them then.

I didn’t know it then, but the tutor I followed out of that lecture hall would become one of my tutors for a module in first year. Getting to know him during that session actually helped me settle into his group a lot quicker when I was an actual student. As a generally shy person, this upper-hand really helped me feel a lot more confident.

The English Literature taster session went better than I imagined. The class was bigger than your typical seminar size, containing about twenty people or so. The tutor gave us a quick talk about studying English Literature at Edge Hill, before setting us the task of analysing two poems in groups. This scared me, but it really shouldn’t have; we weren’t expected to analyse the poems at some super high magical degree level; all he wanted to know was what we could get out of it. Anything that we did come up with, he gladly helped us expand on, so I really felt like I learnt something even in that short time.

Some of the people I met during that taster session went on to become Edge Hill students too. This was great during my first couple of weeks at university, because every now and then a face I recognised would pop up in a sea of strangers and it was that kind of thing that made me feel more confident in situations I was finding daunting and scary.

My experience of the English Literature taster session is really what convinced me most that the course at Edge Hill was the right one for me, and I advise anyone who has any doubts to attend one.