Visiting Edge Hill

Whilst I was certain from the moment that I applied to Edge Hill that I wanted to go there, it wasn’t until the Applicant Visit Day that I really started to become excited.

The most valuable part of the day for me was the taster sessions. The day was especially for joint honours students so I attended a taster session for each of my subjects.

In creative writing about thirty of us sat in a room and took part in discussions before doing writing exercises. I had been a bit dubious initially- I had doubts that I’d ever just be able to write on cue- but by being given certain scenarios, requirements and restrictions I soon found myself inspired and writing away. This felt like a breakthrough for me, as I’d had writers block for the previous two years which I’d spent working in fast food, and it made me all the more sure that I was taking a positive step.

The film studies taster was a lot more intimate; a group of five of us sat round a table discussing Cult Cinema, a subject that greatly interests me and that I can speak passionately about for quite a while. After the session I remember thinking that this was exactly how I wished my first time at university had been.

After the film session we were each given a pack that included information about our tutors and a history of cinema

After the applicant day I was a lot more nervous to start, as well as a lot more excited. It all suddenly felt very real and I began to get worried that I’d struggle with the workload or feel out of my depth.

Now that I’ve completed my first semester at Edge Hill University I know that I was wrong to worry and that when I put the effort in the workload isn’t an issue.

The applicant visit day was really helpful in that it gave me a much clearer idea of what the next few years are going to be like, and I’d recommend that everybody attends one.

You can find out more about visiting the university HERE.