My Applicant Visit Day

(I have so much to say about my applicant visit day that I’m going to split my experience into two blogs. This week I’m going to talk about the day in general, and next week my blog will be about the English Literature taster session that forms a big part of an applicant visit day).

It was nearly two years ago that I visited Edge Hill for an applicant visit day but I can still remember it fairly clearly (however I am feeling very old right now – time flies!).  Before I attended the applicant visit day I knew that I really loved the campus and town at Edge Hill, but I was still feeling torn between studying at EHU or another university.

When the day came around, it’s safe to say I was pretty nervous. New situations scare me a lot, but they’re also exciting. When I arrived at Edge Hill on the morning of my visit I was greeted by lots of welcoming people, both students and staff alike, which helped calm my nerves. It was also helpful seeing that everyone else who was visiting seemed kind of nervous too.

The first thing I did was attend a talk about the English and History department in general. At the end of this talk, I had an English Literature taster session (read more on this in my blog next week!). After the taster session we were given the opportunity to grab some lunch, and then there were finance and accommodation talks, followed by a tour of campus. By this point, I really had to start making my way home because I lived so far away. Luckily, the Edge Hill staff were happy to help, and they found me a student guide to give me my own private tour of campus so I could get away quickly.

As I said, when I arrived at Edge Hill that day I hadn’t made up my mind about where I was going to study, but by the time I left I was certain that Edge Hill was the place for me. Having a taster session is what really sealed the deal for me; I saw what my studies at Edge Hill would be like and I loved what I saw.