Filling Facebook With Art

While I’m a self-confessed Facebook addict, I rarely use it for anything more than keeping in touch with friends. I’ve never played Farmville or Candy Crush and I just really can’t get on board with the trend of sharing inspirational quotes and photos. There has, however, been something making the rounds on facebook lately that has caught my eye. The idea is that you’re assigned an artist and then you post a picture of their art and assign different artists to whoever likes the photo. Seeing artworks crop up all over my news feed has offered a nice break from the never-ending stream of ‘selfies’ and attention seeking statuses.

I enjoy art mostly in the forms of film, music and literature and wish that I knew more about paintings and sculptures. Simply through keeping an eye on this Facebook movement I have discovered new artists whose work I really admire and I’d like to share some of these artists here…

It began when my friend posted ‘Fill Facebook with art! Those who “like” this photo will be assigned an artist. Then they should post a photo of that artist’s work. I was given Niki de Saint Phalle.” Underneath she posted this photo…

Art Niki de Saint Phalle- cat
Niki de Saint Phalle

I was of course drawn to the sculpture by my love of cats and after pressing the ‘like’ button I was assigned Marc Quinn. I’d never heard of Marc Quinn, but soon fell in love with his work as I browsed Google images trying to decide on which piece to repost. I eventually settled on this one…

marcquinn
Marc Quinn

My friend assigned Max Ernst to somebody else who then posted this picture…

Art Max Ernst
Max Ernst

When people began to ‘like’ my picture I assigned them Gustav Klimt, Alphonse Mucha and Andy Warhol, three of the few artists that I know, and they posted these pictures…

Art Andy Warhol
Andy Warhol
Art Alphonse Mucha
Alphonse Mucha
Art gustav klimt
Gustav Klimt

As the chain spread and my friends began to assign artists to other people I discovered two artists that I’d never heard of before but whose work I really loved; Agnes Cecile and Włodzimierz Kuklinski…

Art Wlodzimierz Kuklinski
Włodzimierz Kuklinski
Art Agnes Cecille
Agnes Cecile

Filling Facebook with art is something in which anyone can participate, regardless of how much they know about art. I really enjoyed browsing through the work of artists that I’d never heard of. And a news feed full of art beats a news feed full of ‘Neck Nominations’ any day.