Texts in Motion

If you read my previous blog about my experiences with English Literature you will know that, at Edge Hill, the Literature course isn’t just about studying books. My absolute favourite thing about English here is the wide variety of forms of literature that we have the option to study.

Now that I’m in my second year, I’ve chosen to study a module called Texts in Motion. It’s all about film adaptations of books. Each week we read a book, watch its film adaptation and then compare the two. I think it’s so great that I’ve been given the opportunity to branch out from books into film, and although it’s definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone, I’m really enjoying the challenge of analysing a form that I’m less familiar with.

Whilst my other modules are period-based (this semester they’re focused the Renaissance and Romantic periods), Texts in Motion allows me to study books and films from a variety of time periods. One week I’ll be studying Pride and Prejudice, another week I study Lord of the Rings.

I can’t really recommend this module enough. Film lovers will of course enjoy it, but it’s also great for any English Literature students who need a bit of a break from books . Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore reading, but it’s nice to mix it up a bit every now and again. It’s also kind of like learning a whole new language, as the terminology I need to correctly analyse film are words that I’ve never even heard of before! It’s a bit daunting, but I’m getting to grips with using these new terms fairly quickly and everyone else is in the same position.

You can find out more about the English courses offered at Edge Hill by watching the video below: