Procrastination

I was going to write a blog… but then I found a Facebook page called ‘Cats Wearing Tights’.

I often find myself discovering gems like this when I have work to do. Staying focused is something that I struggle with and throughout my years in education I’ve become a master of procrastination. I’ve had a lot of work to do over the Christmas Holidays, so I’ve had to be strict with my time management and exercising self-control when I can psychically sense notifications piling up on my Facebook has been difficult.

Often my work ends up looking like this...
Often my work ends up looking like this…

The biggest helper for me is rewarding myself breaks based on word count, as opposed to specific time slots. If I decide to take a break after an hour’s time I could easily only write about 20 words. If I decide to take a break once I’ve written 500 words I can usually have them done to a good standard in an hour.

Another common mistake that I’ve been known to make is taking three hours of break to every one hour of work that I do. Unfortunately, there are just not enough hours in the day, and before I know it the deadline’s looming and it’s not looking promising.

While my habit of procrastinating was quite bad in school and college, I have been a lot more disciplined since I’ve started at Edge Hill. I put this down to my realisation of the importance for me to do well and to, in a way, redeem myself of all the past low mark assignments that I should have done better at.

The work-load is a lot heavier at Uni, and I’m finding that the key to staying on top of it is stamina. I know it sounds obvious, but the more hours that I put in the easier it is to do well, and it helps me to bare that in mind when I have work to do.

And now it’s time for me to return to my stack of work. Wish me luck!

Oh, and just in case you were wondering...
Oh, and just in case you were wondering…