Going the Distance

When I found out that I’d got a place at Edge Hill, as well as being extremely excited, I was incredibly nervous about the distance. My hometown of Maidstone in Kent is over 250 miles away from Ormskirk and I couldn’t imagine moving somewhere where I didn’t know a single other person.

My hometown Maidstone at point A, Ormskirk at point B

I’d never been anywhere remotely north before I attended the Edge Hill open day, but doing so gave me a rough idea about what it would be like to live in Ormskirk. I knew what to expect from the university campus, I knew that all the locals seemed to speak with funny accents, I knew that Liverpool was nearby, I knew it would take me a ridiculous number of trains to get there (four, plus a walk across London and another across Liverpool), and I knew it was cold. But I couldn’t help but wonder how I could know so much and yet feel so unprepared.

Some people may look at the opportunity and consider it a challenge, but I was terrified at the thought of handling everything by myself. I was silly to think that I would be alone though.  My parents, of course, were always on the end of the phone if I needed help with anything. Almost as soon as I had moved into my new flat, I was introduced to my SA (Student Assistant) who really helped me to settle in during those first few days and was there if I had any problems. And then there were my flatmates, who were as equally as scared as me, and all dealing with moving out for the first time too. And really, the whole experience turned out to be more exciting that it was frightening.

It’s a little bit of a culture shock moving across the country. But I’ve learnt to understand the Lancashire and Scouse accents, I’ve learn what a ‘barm’ is, and I’ve really enjoyed the cheaper pricing of everything.  In fact, I love it up here so much I’m fairly sure that when I’ve finished my degree, I’ll look for a job somewhere in the North West.