My Favourite Moments of 2013

I can never work out what to do with myself on the days between Boxing Day and New Year’s Eve. The little angel sitting on my right shoulder keeps telling me how much work I have to do, but the little devil on my left shoulder keeps pointing out that this is the perfect time to have a few days off. Naturally, the devil has won and I have spent the last few days eating chocolate and watching House.

With New Year’s Eve looming, I can’t help but thinking back to my favourite things in the last year. There are three events that spring to mind.

In August I attended Leeds Festival for the fifth time. Headlining were Biffy Clyro, Green Day, and Eminem. Seeing Green Day was a really big deal for me because, while I rarely listen to them anymore, they were the first band I ever properly loved and I have wanted to see them for a long time. Biffy Clyro were really good also, as well as The Lumineers, Hadouken, Imagine Dragons, Jake Bugg, and Chase and Status. The only thing that put a dampener on Leeds was the weather; the rain was so heavy that our tents got completely flooded, and I ended up missing System of a Down because I was attempting to remove all my belongings from the lake that had formed around them.

leedssun
Before the rain came…
leedsrain
…and after the rain came.

In July I attended my first music festival abroad; Festival Internacional de Benicàssim or Benicàssim Festival. We spent the days sunbathing and drinking cocktails on the beach and then watched bands in the evening, before dancing to DJ sets into the early hours. My favourite band of all time, The Arctic Monkey’s, was playing and was incredible. I met so many lovely people and can’t wait to go back.

benicassim
At Benicàssim festival

In September I started at university for the second time. After dropping out of university and starting full-time work I had been unsure if I’d ever go back into education. Seriously disheartened by my first experience, the idea of starting again scared me and I tried to think of alternatives. I eventually realised that I really did want to study to be a writer and that my best option would be to go back. Before I started at Edge Hill I was terrified. I felt that if I started and hated it there would be nothing that I could do because I wouldn’t want to drop out of university twice. However, after my first week I knew that I had nothing to worry about. I love my course and I’m so happy that I summoned up the courage to go to university again.

Bring on 2014.

Me looking happy after a good year
Me looking happy after a good year