Christmas at Edge Hill

This weekend was a busy one in my house, as my housemates and I donned our silly Christmas jumpers, made our own Christmas dinner (from scratch!) and swapped presents  as we celebrated an early Christmas before we all head home for the holidays. I feel like there’s something special about Ormskirk during the Christmas period and I always seem to find tons of Christmas-related things to do.

At the beginning of the month, I went into town for the Christmas light switch on. This is always a great event as it really brings the community together. There were food stalls, a couple of rides and a stage that housed a series of choirs, entertainers and even Father Christmas himself. This year, Bruce Jones (Les Battersby from Coronation Street) turned on our Christmas lights and even sang us a song. It was a really cheesy, but very enjoyable, evening.

Edge Hill has its own celebrations too. Every year a huge tree is decorated in the Hub. Here’s a picture of it this year.

8c67a42a5db411e3a824121664af44a0_8

There is always a Christmas market on campus too. There are loads of stalls selling Christmassy items, perfect for buying any Christmas presents or just treating yourself. I’ve put a video below where you can listen to the choir singing a Christmas carol in the Hub at this year’s Christmas fair.

If Ormskirk hasn’t got everything you need for Christmas presents, it’s really easy to visit Liverpool and look at the shops there (it’s only half an hour away on the train and doesn’t cost much).  Liverpool has every shop you could ever want, plus its own Christmas market which sells some lovely food.

It’s hard being away from family during the lead up to Christmas, but I’ve found that the friends I’ve made here at university are really like a second family. We do all the same things as I would at home, like putting decorations up, listening to Christmas music and making Christmas dinner (see the picture below!). And at the end of term, I know I get to go home and do it all over again.