Stephanie’s Blog – The Campus That Fit!

So, as they always say, try before you buy, make sure it fits and that it is right for you. Well I took this advice to heart when I went ‘University Shopping.’
… Like a lot of teenagers and young people I was at the stage where school was ending. I had stayed at the same school all the way from year seven to year thirteen (sixth form.) Using the UCAS website I came across Edge Hill University in Lancashire. This wasn’t a familiar area to me and I knew nothing about Edge Hill other than I liked the course. The next part of this story might not make as much sense as hoped because as you all know, I study Advertising now. However when applying to University I was looking for a very specific course which involved the teaching of the German Language at a Primary School Level. Being a large teaching college this is why Edge Hill was a top priority. I looked on the website and due to school demands I didn’t have the time to look around before applying but I had my German Interview at Edge Hill in January, a few months before I had to put my final two choices forward.
From the prospectus I could see Edge Hill was in a great location with lots of things to do and couldn’t wait to look round in the January. My Best Friend and I drove nearly four hours on the Motorway as two timid seventeen year olds who were scared but excited to see the place that might host the next three years of their lives.
When we arrived we were captured by the main building which we knew from the website and prospectus as the ‘face of Edge Hill.’ Having parked we walked from the main entrance to the education faculty ooh’ing and ahh’ing all the way around! We loved the buildings, we loved the layout, we loved the statue trail, we loved the green space and we LOVED the duck pond.
Edge Hill University was so much brighter, colourful and amplified in person and it was perfect. Both of us knew from that day that we HAD to go there. So, when it came to applying later on for the final two choices, I put Edge Hill first and second – for German and a backup of Advertising. And I am glad I did, as the only University that ‘fit’ it was a must!!! When I got my grades in the Summer of 2010 I was ready and feeling grown up to move four hours from home and start University. Unfortunately two days after this my life was turned upside down and the German Teaching course wasn’t running that year due to lack of demand… I didn’t know what to do! Take a year out? Go to another University? Study something else? … The one thing I was certain about, whatever I was going to do, it wasn’t going to be at any other University. So I took my insurance option and went to Edge Hill that September and began my path to my future in Advertising.

So having ended up in the dream location I started to learn my way around Edge Hill … In my time here I feel as if I have taken full advantage of the Campus! Within months of moving in to halls I had friends in a variety of on-campus accommodation, which allowed me to visit and see inside everyone else’s halls. Then I joined the Gym, used the Swimming Pool, took books out at the Library, did my washing in the Launderette, had nights out in The Venue and shopped in the Uni Shop. I used the running track to keep fit and I used the Durning Centre to have my online-shopping delivered to. And of course I used a number of the buildings for lectures and other activities. The Arts centre was great to catch a film in and the Business Building was ideal to go on the rooftop terrace and look over University. The pond and the other green spaces were amazing in Summer when the musicians got their guitars out, the sporty people threw balls around and the dancers and cheerleaders formed routines in the Sunshine.
Since my first year I have been on campus regularly to attend lectures. Despite living off campus for my second and third year at University, we now choose to go to Uni to use one of the new buildings – The Hub to chill out, do work and socialise. We hire rooms at the library to work in groups and prepare presentations. Often we seek careers advice and get people to read over our CV’s and application forms in the Student Information Centre. Every Wednesday I go to The Venue (the on campus nightclub) for Teams and Social Nights. When filming adverts the campus is a great location with a professional look and lots of great equipment to hire. I have had the odd deadlines that creep up far too quickly and I need a computer and motivation at 2am and I can go to the LINC building to take advantage of their 24hour services. When we are hungry in lectures we now have the choice of two shops, lots of food outlets, the hub’s food court and even on-campus Starbucks outlets!

You really do have to look for the university that fits you, but in my opinion there is something at Edge Hill for everyone.

Happy University Shopping ☺