Alex’s Blog – Our Campus

I was always told when applying to universities, go and have a look round at wherever you apply to.. Well I can safely say that am very glad that I did! The campus at Edge Hill is one of the main reasons that I chose to study here and I certainly haven’t regretted that decision.

I would like to say that I take advantage of the very scenic western side of the campus however, apart from going the the library or Student Information Centre, most of my time is spent on the other side of campus surrounded by the excellent sports facilities.

The Sports Centre contains: a 4 court Sports Hall, 4 court Gymnasium with sprung floor, IFI accredited Fitness Suite with 40 stations, Squash Court, 12 Changing Rooms, Sports Therapy Clinic and a Starbucks Coffee shop (which is much appreciated by students and lecturers!). As well as these indoor facilities, Edge hill also offers: 1 Floodlit Astroturf Multi court area (ideal for 9-a-side football), a competition standard floodlit 6-lane synthetic Athletics Track, 2 grass Pitches for Football and Rugby, a 4 court Gymnasium with sprung floor, Dance Studio with sprung floor and an 18m 5 lane Swimming Pool.

BUT if you think that is impressive.. Edge Hill have developed plans which are now underway for bigger and better sports facilities! As if they aren’t happy with a standard that saw Olympic athletes use the facilities as a pre-olympic training camp..

Many of the new facilities included in the £25 million project are being opened within the next year, including: 1 floodlit Astroturf Hockey Pitch (due to open January 2013), 3 floodlit 5-a-side Astroturf courts (due to open January 2013), 1 3G Football / Rugby Pitch, (completion date: March 2013), 4 floodlit Tennis/Netball courts (completion date: Spring 2013), a second 8-lane floodlit Athletics Track (completion date: September 2013), a purpose-built conditioning trail (completion date: September 2013) and 5 more grass pitches for Football + Rugby (completion date: August 2013).

As well as all this, a brand new Sports Centre will finish off the additions, expected to be completed by September 2015. This will include: an 8-court sports hall with viewing gallery, a 25m Swimming Pool, a 100-station Fitness Suite, an Aerobics Studio, Sauna & Steam rooms and a Coffee shop.

Click to view a video of the planned developments

For anyone even remotely interested in sport, keeping fit or just enjoying being active, why would you want to go anywhere else??

Alex 🙂