Fostex Machines…

…are very confusing machines! They’re an external sound recorder so when you’re producing someone you use that, connected to the boom mic, to get your diegetic sound. That’s where clapperboards come in etc. It’s always a good idea to use a Fostex as you work, even if you don’t think you’re going to use diegetic sound for that scene, and this is why: creating a soundtrack from scratch to sync to your film is THE hardest, most time consuming task ever. Imagine this, you need footsteps, trees blowing, leaves crunching…. you have to get all of that, and it’s got to be in sync with what you’ve filmed. I’m writing this blog post because today I had to do that very thing…. SO! When it comes to film making, and sound design, always ALWAYS record your sound there and then, and I recommend using a Fostex…you can hear the sounds as they record! And! You can hear any interference too! So you’re probably not going to need to re-record… Okay, that’s enough from me on sound… It’s time to go to sleep!