BSc (Hons) Psychology

“It’s not just about sitting in a lecture theatre and being taught, you are encouraged to learn through being interactive and exploring the aspects we individually find interesting”

India Johnson

Hi, my name is India, I am 19 years old and from York, and I have just completed my first year studying Psychology. I decided to apply to do Psychology at Edge Hill as I have always been interested in learning the reasons behind everyone being so different to each other and how the brain works. I chose to study at Edge Hill as when I visited on open days the campus was really pretty, welcoming and it felt like a much more homely environment as it was a campus university rather than spread out across a city like most of the other universities I was looking at.

One of my favourite parts of the course is having the opportunity to learn in different ways, for example we get to take part in experiments and conduct our own which is really interesting. It’s not just about sitting in a lecture theatre and being taught, you are encouraged to learn through being interactive and exploring the aspects we individually find interesting. I find this a fantastic opportunity that not all courses offer. I’m looking forward to future years on this course as we get more opportunities to take part in further studies and also work with our lecturers and help them with their research.

After I graduate I’m hoping to stay on and complete a masters and possibly a doctorate as I’m aiming to become a clinical psychologist where I can work with children; I’d be really interested in working alongside social workers and similar roles to help children who really need it.

India with the EHU Sign Language Society

I have 2 highlights so far, one of them was when I started getting my results of this year through. It was amazing to see that, even though I was very nervous to come to university as I wasn’t sure if I’d struggle, that I can and did do well. My second highlight of this year came from being part of Edge Hill’s sign language society. The society conducted a sign language flash mob of ‘Fight Song’ during Disability Awareness Week. It was amazing to see how our hard work learning the song and sign language came together and looked amazing whilst also promoting deaf awareness.