The Faces of Muppetman!

I couldn’t resist picking up some of the points made by Martin, Damien and Mary around assumed identities online. I take the points made about identities often being topic driven and I agree that the anomalies are certainly worth thinking about. I also agree with the point made by Mary that we, perhaps, need to examine the ethics of living in this epistemic world; not least because I understand that there has been a rise in depression / suicide in the U.S. that is alleged to be related to the points that Damien made about individuals with physical disabilities. It would seem that creating an avatar of what you think is your ‘ideal self’ may have ethical implications.
I was also struck by the question that Martin posed relating gender identity given that, in the incident discussed, generational identity could seemingly be diminished.
What makes me somewhat uncomfortable about all of this is the underlying assumption that our identity is solely invested in a physical image, avatar, photograph, name tag.
What about the identity that we create in the way that we write; in what we write? Aren’t we in danger of oversimplifying the concept of identity to the point that we may completely misunderstand it?
Fiona (a.k.a. f3538!)

One thought on “The Faces of Muppetman!