A very special guest map this week that doesn’t even feature Edge Hill. Above is a map of Ormskirk from 1609. The original is held by Ormskirk Library and this scan is available on the Lancashire County Council website. This map explains why Aughton Street and Moor Street are much wider than the other two streets and predates by quite some time the clock tower which now stands at the cross roads.
Ormskirk’s changed quite a lot over the last 401 years, and not just because of the University!